Tuesday, October 19, 2004

New tools, old tools

I've added a a blogroll of my RSS feeds to this site. I thought I'd give Bloglines a try and see if I would rather use it than my desktop-based RSS aggregator. So far, I'm underwhelmed; I like the fact that I can get at my feeds from multiple computers, but that's about it. The notifier that it uses basically only puts a teeeeny tiny little red dot on the icon when there's a new article - I suppose the dot has a number on it, but with my icon in the Dock it's too small to see, and the icon in DragThing doesn't acquire the number at all so it really doesn't do me any good there - you click on it and you just get sent to the Bloglines page, hey ho.

In another computer news, I finally sold my beautiful little tangerine clamshell Revision A iBook. *sigh* I really loved that computer when I got it - it was such a comfortable laptop, so natural to use, and it served me well when I was commuting on the Long Island Railroad (*gag*) to New York every day. But I hadn't used it as a laptop in about two years, and it's rather hard to upgrade an original iBook - you can only use the original AirPort card on it (which is more expensive than the new Airport Extreme card!) and replacing the hard drive is a monumental, tech-savvy task. It has found a new home with a student here, and hopefully it will be well cared for. *sniff*

I have a question about blog audiences. Do people browsing blogs read more than the latest few entries, usually? Is everything I type pretty much forgotten after a day or two, except by the occasional search engine? How long does it take before my posts are considered stale? I'd invite you to comment, except that I know (thanks to reinvigorate) that very few people are reading this yet, and you probably won't respond. *thumbs nose*

1 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Hey, thanks for commenting! You're my first response ever. *gives you cake*

Now that you mention it, search engines do direct me to a ton of useful blogs at the moment, and I do read old posts if they're valuable. But it looks like Google might soon be funnelling blogs off into their own search engine - see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/05/09/google_to_fix_blog_noise/ for more. That'll certainly affect the amount of incidental traffic we receive.

I guess people just wouldn't be as likely to comment on older posts, since they wouldn't expect somebody to check and respond. Of course, if you've set your blog to notify you when there are additional responses, and you allow comments indefinitely, it doesn't matter whether the comment comes a day later or six months later - you're still going to read it, more than likely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home